Author Topic: I GIVE UP!  (Read 29804 times)

Martin.

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Connected to a million stars and lights.
    • View Profile
    • Sworn Under An Oath To War
I GIVE UP!
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2008, 01:10:13 am »
^ she is.

she only did like two interviews when she released 'aerial' then went away again.

amberbeads

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
I GIVE UP!
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2008, 12:32:57 pm »
Quote from: "MeganJane"
and then only came into the public eye again when it was necessary to sell the music.

"decided to score some more cash from the people she obviously doesn't give two shits about."
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

PianoGirl4444

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shannonthomas.net
    • Email
I GIVE UP!
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2008, 02:34:52 pm »
Quote from: "amberbeads"
and then only came into the public eye again when it was necessary to sell the music.

"decided to score some more cash from the people she obviously doesn't give two shits about."

lol.  For real!  

Not to mention, she'd probably sell MORE music if she did act like she cared.  For instance, I think one of the reasons Taylor Swift is so big right now is because she blogs and makes fun videos for her fans.  She lets them into her life.  She really appreciates her fans and it shows.  It's a give and take.
Cross paths with what you used to have. You've gotta learn that you've gotta earn
The fantasy
:: shannonthomas.net ::

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
I GIVE UP!
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2008, 07:42:46 pm »

I can understand why you think that, but I don't agree. Of course I do not know her, but my perception is that she makes music for the love of music, rather than to make money. She had the overwhelming fame from a young age- so now she wants a regular, anonymous life with her partner and child. I think she deserves that, and her fans are used to the way she works now.

It is harder to know what is going on with Vanessa as we are without the benefit of hindsight and we are used to her "letting us in".

Continuing on with Shannon's point, I think that approach is perhaps the most successful for an artist in this "communication age". Long ago though, before the internet etc. part of the artist's appeal was their distance. They were larger than life- like a fantasy.
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

nutnlp

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
I GIVE UP!
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2008, 08:49:55 pm »
Just curious, does someone(a fan) on these boards actually pay yearly for this site to keep afloat still?

It's much appreciated especially since theres no up-to-date official source we can turn to.

ill always be a fan of the music, but not of the ego.
..is rushing to pack his bags and take a trip to egypt like the average person does!!!

amberbeads

• AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
I GIVE UP!
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2008, 09:17:07 am »

I can understand why you think that, but I don't agree. Of course I do not know her, but my perception is that she makes music for the love of music, rather than to make money. She had the overwhelming fame from a young age- so now she wants a regular, anonymous life with her partner and child. I think she deserves that, and her fans are used to the way she works now.

Then, in my opinion, she should choose a profession that doesn't come with those kind of attachments. I feel that if you are a musical artist, you are obligated to engage your fans. Does she make music cause she likes to and then doesn't care whether or not it sells? I doubt it. I bet she likes her house and clothes and her bills being paid.
I couldn't get used to that kind of attitude, as a fan. I don't respect artists who don't express their gratitude for their fans. That's why, if Vanessa continues down this road, I'm going to end up not caring about her, either. I love her music, but if she doesn't care that I pay for it then I'm not going to... Sad to say about one of my once favorite artists.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

PianoGirl4444

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shannonthomas.net
    • Email
I GIVE UP!
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2008, 10:14:15 am »
If I don't like an artist's personality, it's almost impossible for me to enjoy their music.  At this point I'm pretty sure I'll continue to be a Vanessa fan.  Her disappearance doesn't bother me too much.  She'd have to really change - as a person or an artist - for me to stop liking her.
Cross paths with what you used to have. You've gotta learn that you've gotta earn
The fantasy
:: shannonthomas.net ::

charmed23

• Make me high on lullabies
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ordinary_charm
    • View Profile
    • Email
I GIVE UP!
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2008, 07:57:37 pm »
Quote from: "Ghisy"
Quote from: "charmed23"
The fans there who still worship and praise her like a Goddess every-single-day and in every-single-thread are pathetic

Thanks for a very useful and informative post.
Loving someone's work (in V's case, her music) is different than worshiping, just fyi.
But if you feel you don't belong here, please don't come anymore and don't disrespect the ones who still believe in V.

and fyi, I am totally capable of differentiating worshiping and loving. I love Vanessa Carlton's music and Vanessa. But not the "love" to the degree of blindness of some nessaholics.

and to point it out for you, I was criticizing the official board, not here. and the last time I checked the official board was 2 weeks ago.
so yes, for now, I don't feel like I belong there

charmed23

• Make me high on lullabies
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ordinary_charm
    • View Profile
    • Email
I GIVE UP!
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2008, 07:59:49 pm »
Quote from: "PianoGirl4444"
If I don't like an artist's personality, it's almost impossible for me to enjoy their music.  At this point I'm pretty sure I'll continue to be a Vanessa fan.  Her disappearance doesn't bother me too much.  She'd have to really change - as a person or an artist - for me to stop liking her.

Change how?
Don't give a shit about her fans is not enough?

(I was going to say "moaning M-A-K-E L-O-V-E to me")

MeganJane

• You aren't tryin'
    • View Profile
    • My music on myspace!
I GIVE UP!
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2008, 05:21:00 pm »

Then, in my opinion, she should choose a profession that doesn't come with those kind of attachments. I feel that if you are a musical artist, you are obligated to engage your fans. Does she make music cause she likes to and then doesn't care whether or not it sells? I doubt it. I bet she likes her house and clothes and her bills being paid.
I couldn't get used to that kind of attitude, as a fan. I don't respect artists who don't express their gratitude for their fans. That's why, if Vanessa continues down this road, I'm going to end up not caring about her, either. I love her music, but if she doesn't care that I pay for it then I'm not going to... Sad to say about one of my once favorite artists.

I certainly agree that if you want to be a musical artist, then you are "obligated to engage your fans". I was only disagreeing with you about Kate Bush- but I can definitely see why you would perceive her in that way- wasn't meaning to argue or anything. I can also (sadly) agree with you  about Vanessa.

A looong time ago I read that George Michael wanted to keep recording music (I don't listen to his music so I don't know if this is happening) but give it away as free downloads to his fans rather than sell CD's. He said loves making music but felt he had already made enough money off the fans.
Now there's a grateful artist. I think that's really cool.
"Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without."
-CONFUCIUS

"It is hard. You have to fight for who you are everyday" -VANESSA CARLTON

Laura

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • View Profile
I GIVE UP!
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2008, 04:33:21 pm »
i noticed a while ago that Vanessa isn't the same person when it comes to her fans as she used to be. & becoming a fan of other artists who care about their fans like mad, was part of the reason i drifted from being a huge Vanessa fan. it's been almost 3 months since i've posted here (longest time away from this place ha) so i think i've officially stopped caring. there was always a little part of me that cared, hoping she'd make a comeback (even tho i said i wasn't a fan at all anymore), but now i officially give up. it's not that hard to say a quick "hello", so obviously she just doesn't give a crap about us anymore.

i know how busy life can get (trust me), but she should have 2 minutes to spare, letting us know she's still alive & well.

Promiscuous Boy

• You're a Genuine Wannabe
    • MSN Messenger - Barmy-for-music@hotmail.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.justnelly.com
I GIVE UP!
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2008, 05:36:18 pm »
i don't believe it's because she's busy, when she was a hit and everyone was loving her, she had times to post her stuffs.. now she's not working, not touring, not recording (I believe) so she has time to post but she doesn't want to do it because as you guys are giving up, she gave up a little while ago!

Bye Vanessa, was very nice to meet your music.. ://///

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Natalie Imbruglia rocks Europe.. rocks my life!

itsthefiveofus

• View Profile
I GIVE UP!
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2008, 07:02:24 pm »
Well I def. do see a decline on this online community. Which is sad. I don't post as much myself. But I have just been so busy with Work and School and Finals coming up. So I don't post as much. But I will def. always post on this board. I don't care if Vanessa does not release anymore music because I have 3 great cd's full of the best music ever. If she does, than even better. But I will never give up. A few days ago during Chem class these two kids asked who sang ATM, they thought it was Michelle Branch. I of course spoke up and spazed on how its Vanessa. They were like "what you like her?!?!" so I stuck up and said yes I love Vanessa's music. I don't care what people think of it because I will never give up on her. This has turned into a long cheesy post. So to sum up I will always care for Vanessa's music! I have put so much thought and have so many memories because of her music and I am not going to give it all up in a split decision!

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.

xxlovelyxx

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xbutterfliesx23
    • View Profile
I GIVE UP!
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2008, 07:03:36 pm »
i think i've loved the fans more then i ever loved vanessa lol i met some cool crazy people here. there was some fun.

i never really cared about vanessa posting. doesnt bother me.

itsthefiveofus

• View Profile
I GIVE UP!
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2008, 07:39:53 pm »
Plus guys, you never know if she comes to the site or stuff. If she were to come what would she see? A big thread titled I Give Up! If I were an artist and saw that from fans, I would not want to post anything. People have already made up their minds, why bother swaying them?

Current takes me out, what will be, will be. Floating on the sea, stars are watching me.