Poll

Do you believe in sex before marriage?

Yes
39 (65%)
Nope
21 (35%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: December 02, 2004, 06:51:45 pm

Author Topic: Sex before Marriage?  (Read 21503 times)

TSE

• Keepin' secrets at midnight
    • MSN Messenger - somniloquence@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TSE455
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - i88bugs@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2005, 11:57:16 am »
Quote from: "kev222"
Quote from: "Grakthis"
Bad Kev.

It's "He or she" not "they"

Pah, they never taught me that in school. Instead I've got to hear it 7 years later on an internet chat board. It's a small wonder I did so badly in English.

-Kev

8O Didn't you ever wonder how one person could be "they?"

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2005, 01:58:30 pm »
Bad Kev.

Pah, they never taught me that in school. Instead I've got to hear it 7 years later on an internet chat board. It's a small wonder I did so badly in English.

-Kev

Wow.  I learned that back in HS (ages 14-18) and it was reinforced all through college.

And come on, don't I even get a CHUCKLE for the townies joke?
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2005, 07:51:11 am »
Quote from: "TSE"
Bad Kev.

-Kev

You'd think so wouldn't you. But then again, I am an idiot.

And come on, don't I even get a CHUCKLE for the townies joke?

Yes, rest assured, it did get a chuckle IRL. But I didn't have anything else to say in response (I was going to say something along the lines of "or Americans." But I didn't think I had the best footing considering my English language education was so blatently substandard) and I usually like to avoid n00bish "I am just writing to say lol" replies.

-Kev

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2005, 07:51:30 am »
Even though logic may tell you that the use of "they", a plural pronoun for a singular subject, such use when the gender of the subject is unknown has been common in English, even to the King, since at least the 1600s.  Reference:  Merriam-Webster Usage
Dustin

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - nessaussie@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mybiopro.com/AU/?ID=harmonium
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2005, 08:35:12 pm »
Quote from: "Steavis"
Quote from: "NESSAussie"
Things are so much more complicated these days :o I can't begin to imagine
how difficult these kind of choices are going to be for the next generation :?

More reason I constantly hit myself for not being born in the 20's

Indeed! My Grandparents certainly had it different... tales of courtship from
their halcyon days seem a world apart from what kids today experience :o

Julie

• Make me high on lullabies
    • MSN Messenger - juls21487@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - golddust214
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Juls21487
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/julie214
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2005, 10:58:43 am »
Yes, I believe in pre-marital sex.  No one should be restricted.
"If only I could get into that corner of your head."

Lucy

• View Profile
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2005, 01:41:12 am »
I'm a christian so I don't believe in sex before marriage. I think it is something special given by God which should be reserved for the security of marriage. I think it makes quite a lot of sense really, looking at the way society has turned out...

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2005, 07:40:59 am »
Bad Kev.

-Kev

-Kev

I have always written 'they' in reference to a single person and i have never got anything less than an A in every exam i have taken. I got A*s in both English language and literature!

Moreover, i find it funny that Americans seem to take particular care with grammar and criticise us for it, when you are the ones who botched our language in the first place. 'Thru' instead of 'through' is just one of the ways in which you have massacred the english language. I rest my case.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2005, 07:58:24 am »
Quote from: "rosieposy87"
Bad Kev.

-Kev

-Kev

I have always written 'they' in reference to a single person and i have never got anything less than an A in every exam i have taken. I got A*s in both English language and literature!

Moreover, i find it funny that Americans seem to take particular care with grammar and criticise us for it, when you are the ones who botched our language in the first place. 'Thru' instead of 'through' is just one of the ways in which you have massacred the english language. I rest my case.

Sweet heart, it's not an American thing.  It's an ENGLISH thing.  IT's true of British Grammar too.  I know, because I've had this conversation with a limey on another forum.

Don't babble about your A's.  That just means your teacher didn't care.

And it's YOU europeans and your txt messages that came up with things like "thru", not Americans.  We didn't do that.  You did.

Use your head for a minute and think about it.  THEY is PLURAL.  HE and SHE are singular.  It doesn't take a genius to figure it out.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

---Andrew

NESSAussie

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - nessaussie@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mybiopro.com/AU/?ID=harmonium
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2005, 09:20:21 am »
And it's YOU europeans and your txt messages that came up with things like "thru", not Americans.  We didn't do that.  You did.

In 1876, the American Philological Association adopted 11 new spellings, and began promoting their use:
ar catalog definit gard giv hav infinit liv tho thru wisht :P

The first McDonald's drive-thru window opened in Sierra Vista, Arizona, on January 24, 1975

rosieposy87

• VCUBs
  • Prat Twin #2
    • MSN Messenger - rosie_posy87@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - rosieposy87
    • View Profile
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2005, 10:12:19 am »
Bad Kev.

-Kev

-Kev

Sweet heart, it's not an American thing.  It's an ENGLISH thing.  IT's true of British Grammar too.  I know, because I've had this conversation with a limey on another forum.

Use your head for a minute and think about it.  THEY is PLURAL.  HE and SHE are singular.  It doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

My point was not whether it is correct grammar or not- but simply that it is a perfectly acceptable thing to say. My point was that i find it amusing how Americans insist on correct grammar and place such a huge emphasis on it when so many cannot even write coherently, let alone well.

My As were externally marked by a set of independent examiners who marked 1000s of scripts from across the country, not a teacher dear.

Oh and HAHA for being proven wrong about 'thru'- in NYC i saw signs which said 'thru street' which clearly indicates that your botching of the English language has nothing to do with 'european' text messaging.
"I'm all about the wordplay."

Lucy

• View Profile
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2005, 10:27:15 am »
Do you not think this is ever so slightly off the topic of pre-marital sex?!
But I have to say, I absolutely can't stand bad grammar! I spend my life correcting my friends' grammar and it does tend to annoy them somewhat!

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2005, 06:48:56 am »
Bad Kev.

-Kev

-Kev

My point was not whether it is correct grammar or not- but simply that it is a perfectly acceptable thing to say. My point was that i find it amusing how Americans insist on correct grammar and place such a huge emphasis on it when so many cannot even write coherently, let alone well.

My As were externally marked by a set of independent examiners who marked 1000s of scripts from across the country, not a teacher dear.

Oh and HAHA for being proven wrong about 'thru'- in NYC i saw signs which said 'thru street' which clearly indicates that your botching of the English language has nothing to do with 'european' text messaging.

Signs also use X-ing.  It's short-hand for places where you can't spell out the entire word.  That doesn't mean we accept it as proper usage.  If someone used "thru" in a document they were writing for me to give to a customer, or in their resume, i'd rip them a new ass.

What is accepted is irrelevant.  What is correct is all that matters.  People accept a lot of improper usages and spellings.

And most Americans aren't like this.  Just anal ones who took a lot of writing classes, like me.

Accepting improper usages is a slippery slope.

Edit @ Lucy - no one stays on topic.  It's pointless to try.

---Andrew

BWilli

• Speeding into the horizon
    • MSN Messenger - bdubprod@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2005, 06:54:46 am »

especially when Andrew and Rosie or in the thread.  You two are probably the most outspoken people on the boards.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • View Profile
Sex before Marriage?
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2005, 06:56:09 am »
Quote from: "BWilli"

especially when Andrew and Rosie or in the thread.  You two are probably the most loud obnoxious twats on the boards.

:D

---Andrew