yes it does matter
2 (4.3%)
I accept it but wouldn't do it
6 (13%)
I don't accept it at all
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: January 31, 2005, 05:07:44 pm

Author Topic: interracial dating  (Read 20195 times)

zurielshimon

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
interracial dating
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2005, 03:58:32 pm »
I'm not against it.  I actually have an aunt- and uncle-in-law who are white and black, respectively, and she has a white son from an earlier marriage and they have one together.  And while I can't completely say that it's not something I would have ever done, I just never found anyone of another race as attractive as many of my own race.  However, while I'm not against it, I think anyone considering it should certainly look at society around them if they ever plan to have children together because in some places among some groups, a biracial child is still looked at as a bastard of bastards.  I'm not suggesting that anyone should let society determine their every move in life, but parents should think about how their child is likely to be treated in life.
Dustin

loveplasticlove

• Moderators
  • more rides than great adventure
    • AOL Instant Messenger - loveplasticlove
    • View Profile
interracial dating
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2005, 04:00:25 pm »
All my significant encounters, boyfriends.... have been white ... so inter-racial all the way. :)
"I'm not a slave to a god that doesn't exist."  -Marilyn Manson
SuperScientific: I have a eggroll to shove in your rice patty lol

neos

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • Prat Twin #1
    • AOL Instant Messenger - superneos
    • View Profile
interracial dating
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2005, 04:06:59 pm »
I suppose this poll has more sense for you Americans (or Brits for that matter, or anyone coming from a country where there is racial diversity) to answer. Sadly, there's little racial mixture in Spain nowadays and the little there is is relegated to the lower social classes. We haven't got to the point of an interracial society quite yet. I doubt there are many mixed marriages in Spain nowadays (though the number must be growing, that's for sure). I haven't been faced with the possibility of interracial dating myself cos 99,99% of the people I know are white.

there's only four seasons
and this one's almost gone
these nights feel so good
but this one's almost gone

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
interracial dating
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2005, 04:59:55 pm »
The genetic difference between humans and chimps isn't much either. That doesn't mean the difference is nonexistent. There are physical differences between the races and it would be wrong to ignore them just because it is politically incorrect to acknowledge them. If you look at a Chinese man and a German man, you'd be able to tell the difference. Don't tell me those differences aren't genetic. They certainly aren't acquired socially. Not that I'm saying these differences matter for anything or something....
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

Katia's Lover

• AOL Instant Messenger - GSUCarltonFan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southern-connection.com
    • Email
interracial dating
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2005, 05:12:54 pm »
I'm not against interracial relationships.  I've just never found myself attracted to a black woman.  Doubt I ever will.
katiakaysha: you win
katiakaysha: you're right

I'm on a mission to piss the world off.  Is it your turn yet?!

http://losersareentertaining.blogspot.com/

kev222

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
interracial dating
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2005, 01:40:17 am »
Will, I'm not sure if your post was a standalone statement or a challenge to my earlier post. I'll assume the latter (bored at work) and you can ignore it in the case of the former. Either way, it'll do good to clarify.

Quote from: "em one twenty-five boy"
The genetic difference between humans and chimps isn't much either. That doesn't mean the difference is nonexistent.

No it doesn't and I made no such claim regarding the diffence between humans and humans. My point was that, genotypically, the differences that we associate with race are insignificant compared to the differences we don't associate with race. There's no compelling genotypical support for the current racial groupings. In fact, considering only the genotype, they appear to be arbitrary. My point was that the current racial groupings are based purely on phenotype. Which was an important premise for my 'shallow, ignorant or racist' conclusion. Again, I'm not judging, everyone is shallow.

There are physical differences between the races and it would be wrong to ignore them just because it is politically incorrect to acknowledge them. If you look at a Chinese man and a German man, you'd be able to tell the difference.

Indeed.

Don't tell me those differences aren't genetic.

I won't.

They certainly aren't acquired socially.

I agree.

Not that I'm saying these differences matter for anything or something....

They don't matter in any social way. True diversity doesn't come from how people look. Asian people don't think or feel any differently to black people, who don't think or feel any differently to white people. I had plenty of Asian friends in school. They had been raised in England and behaved exactly like I did (which was pretty badly in school :?).

The problem won't be solved until people start viewing physical, 'racial' characteristics (e.g. skin colour) in the same way as they view other physical characteristics (e.g. height).  I don't think the differences should be ignored or that they're nonexistant, they just shouldn't be seperated off and attributed to something called race. Is there any reason to view skin colour as a somehow different genetic variation to height or hair colour? Nope. There is only one race.

All this talk of 'racial diversity' is attacking the symptoms and not the causes of racism and making things worse (or at least slowing down progress). There is real diversity everywhere, race is irrelavant to all diversity except a shallow and useless asthetic diversity. When the statements "I don't date brunettes" and "I don't date black girls" can be considered equally non-racist, then we'll have some progress. IMHO.

-Kev

HappyZen

• VCUBs
  • Fell off the ass end of the world.
    • MSN Messenger - youfoundzen@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
interracial dating
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2005, 02:55:26 am »
In this age of political correctness being anything but politically correct is quite taboo ... a relationship is difficult enough as it is .. you have to be uber patient and tolerant to cross cultures .. especially when culture plays a big part in your life.
I've taken race to mean all things that contribute to being a part of your culture. .. completely non physicall .. because as Kev said that's completely irrelavent. Race here is more based on culture anyway ..
From some cultures burping at the table to show their host their appreciation, to other cultures I don't know .. tatooing their body as a rite of passage ...
Having said that .. kev is right .. all my best friends are a mixture of countries .. we're all as confused as eeach other ... we're all cross cultured we were born Australian and adhered to an "Australian" way of life ... laws and the way of life .. to an extent ... yet, you still had this other part that you went home too! At school you'd be eating Meat Pies and Tomato sauce, or vegemite sandwich, and at home you had your ethnic food that your mum spent a good part of the day slaving over the stove to make ... Home to a house where the front formal lounge with the aircondition was was reserved for the guest your mum was trying to impress but who would bitch anyway because they saw a speckle of dust on the coffee table .. Engllish at school and your other language at home .. The thing is, no matter how much you try to run away, culture is branded in you! Regardless of how much you try to distance yourself ..

People in these pockets of culture sprawled in the various countries gravitate towards each other, and they form a little community of time warpers ... stuck in their out dated beliefs and who can't integrate .. they talk and they talk because they have nothing better to do ..  it's hard to overcome that, and introduce to them a stranger with their strange ways ...
In a mixed country with it's mix of cultures, I'd like to think at least in my generation everyone grows up no matter what country their background is to be .. Australian or American or British or whatever .. not really .. in tune with their culture-ness ... sometimes trying to quash it even!! So they enter cross culture relationship, but while some are successful at it .. I won't say lots of my friends are cross cultured and in cross cultured relationships ... but there are some  ... and some are successful and others are not! And don't know why .. but mostly it's because they'll have their ethnic mum and dad to answer to and their different culture boyfriend won't understand it, and he'll get frustrated ... and they split up.

Its so easy to say there's only one race ..  but it requires lots of tolerance and courage to overcome culutral boundaries .. sure you can appreciate it, and even tolerate it, but can you spend the rest of your life in it?
Neos was talking about Spain lacking racial diversity, but Spain is full of cultural diversity .. huge differences exist between the North and South, and I'm sure the 2 won't be mixing anytime soon ...
IMO that's also inter .. well not racial but it's similar .. it's inter something ... and it's just as hard and just as relevant.  And I think that was the purpose of the poll .. to ask whether you'd go against the "normal" comfort zone in terms of dating, and each countries limits are different ..

Ok, that was just my schpeal because I felt like schpealing, and wanted to point out .. it's not as easy as just saying .. yes or no ... However, I did vote no .. becuase .. I don't think they factor so strongly, physical factors .. just don't make a difference to me .. i'm being serious .. groiwng up in Oz, where everyone looks different, but has an Aussie accent .. it was really quite normal to be different!! So long as you have the same values ...... So long as the couple have the same views and beliefs .. and determination, focus and agree on their way of life .. it might be a bit harder .. but its also more rewarding as it adds a new dimension and spin ..
Yay for cross cultures and cross races! :-)

edited 89747865183 times for spelling and grammer errors .. ggrr

esta vida es un sueño y soñaré
~*~save the uni

Scotty

• MSN Messenger - c_slaughter14@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pianoguy1588
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nessaholic88@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
interracial dating
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2005, 03:47:31 am »
there is only one race I would date...the Human Race

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
interracial dating
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2005, 12:02:52 pm »
There are 4 people on this MB who are biggots  8O
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
interracial dating
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2005, 12:05:12 pm »
Quote from: "Grakthis"

haha... yeah!
well atleast we dont have anyone who is completely against it, yet.
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

Katia's Lover

• AOL Instant Messenger - GSUCarltonFan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southern-connection.com
    • Email
interracial dating
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2005, 12:14:13 pm »

OO OO!  Me! Me! Me!
katiakaysha: you win
katiakaysha: you're right

I'm on a mission to piss the world off.  Is it your turn yet?!

http://losersareentertaining.blogspot.com/

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
interracial dating
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2005, 07:17:17 pm »
Today my dad told me that if anything happened with the biracial guy I'm kinda seeing he wouldn't be happy about it. wtf? but whatever... I'll date who I want. He'll just have to live with it.
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

keith

• AOL Instant Messenger - keithrj997
    • View Profile
interracial dating
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2005, 07:38:06 pm »
Just because those 4 don't agree with the popular opinion that interracial dating is A-OK, that doesn't make them bigots.

zurielshimon

• AOL Instant Messenger - weetbixkid36
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/193866568
interracial dating
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2005, 10:28:52 pm »
Quote from: "keith"
Just because those 4 don't agree with the popular opinion that interracial dating is A-OK, that doesn't make them bigots.
That's right!  Disagreeing with interracial dating doesn't make anyone any more a bigot than agreeing with it makes someone a ------lover.  Namecalling is not something I'm going to stoop to, and I believe I can be sure it's not something that would be tolerated on this board.  But I know nobody's going there, are they? :D
Dustin

xxjenniferxx

• Your true colors shown
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/xsorealx/Jesus.html
interracial dating
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2005, 11:26:09 pm »
I want a european guy hahaha j/k (seriously *wink*)

Anyway, i have no problem with who i date, the heart is what matters the most.

I judge people by thier personality and how they act, not thier skin color!

Skin color doesn't automatically make a person ugly, beautiful, poor, rich, dumb, violent etc. I've seen all races who fits each catagory. i.e who are you kidding.....

So no one is better than anyone else. But whether you admit it or not race is still happening today, some blacks holding grudges on whites for past events that happened in the 1800's or whatever. Or some whites who are usually calling blacks uneducated bums. blah blah blah. Its stupid.

I also noticed its usually the parents who teaches thier kids this stuff.

We're all the same. I don't see whats so bad about it. Btw most of all my guy friends were blue eyed white boys. lol Actually i was hoping to marry one....

@HOLLY , hey if you really like this guy, go for it , i'm sure you are old enough to make your own decisions. And if your dad is unhappy about it , than it shows he doesn't have much respect for you at all. No offense.