I'm totally pro-choice
16 (31.4%)
I'm very against it
12 (23.5%)
it depends on the circumstances
23 (45.1%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Voting closed: September 08, 2005, 02:42:53 pm

Author Topic: abortion  (Read 21135 times)

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
abortion
« on: September 08, 2005, 02:42:53 pm »
what do you think?
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

Lucy

• Make me high on lullabies
    • View Profile
abortion
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 02:19:46 pm »
As a christian I would have to say that I'm against it, as only God has the right to give or take away life. I am sympathetic towards it though cause I know there are some very challenging situations surrounding abortion in today's society, and I can understand why some people do have to go to those lengths. That said, I know also that if it was made illegal, then pregnant women might resort to unclean, illegal establishments, that could cause many more problems for their health, and society.

Lucy

• View Profile
abortion
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 02:20:40 pm »
Anyone agree/disagree?

kev222

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
abortion
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 01:25:41 am »
Strongly against. With the single exception of the mother's life being at significant risk.

And I hate the phrase 'pro-choice', the fact that the 'pro-choice' camp considers the perfectly accurate phrase pro-abortion unpalatable speaks volumes about its position.

Quote from: "Lucy"
That said, I know also that if it was made illegal, then pregnant women might resort to unclean, illegal establishments, that could cause many more problems for their health, and society.

I doubt it would cause *many* more problems for heath and society. Certainly less than illegal drug use, and those problems aren't enough to convince our government to make (say) heroin legal.

amberbeads

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Idledaylight01
    • View Profile
    • http://shameless-selfpromo.blogspot.com
abortion
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 04:56:22 am »
I am pro-choice but anti-abortion. I think abortion is horrible, horrible, horrible, but I suppose the mother should have the right to choose. If she's seriously cool with killing her baby then she doesn't deserve to have one, anyway.
Although I think that abortion is acceptable when the child is a health threat to the parent, to itself or is a product of rape (who would want to carry their rapist's child?). By a health threat to itself, I am referring to genetic counseling and pre-birth genetic screenings that reveal extremely serious diseases that would put the child in a lot of pain or kill it after a very short time.
*natalie*

at least i can say
i was not afraid
i loved you all the way
i'd pick the fool any day.

loveplasticlove

• Moderators
  • You never thought it'd hurt so bad
  • more rides than great adventure
    • AOL Instant Messenger - loveplasticlove
    • View Profile
abortion
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 05:42:22 pm »
I'm pro-choice.
"I'm not a slave to a god that doesn't exist."  -Marilyn Manson
SuperScientific: I have a eggroll to shove in your rice patty lol

Will

• Moderators
  • Fine as dandelions
  • Advanced anti-spam registrations filter
    • View Profile
abortion
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 06:22:28 pm »
I hate abortion threads.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy Osborne

Steveau

• VCUBs
  • Fine as dandelions
  • OLD man whistling
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Steveau98
    • View Profile
abortion
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 08:07:09 pm »
I'm pro-choice all the way. Actually the best description of my views is that I'm Pro-death because I'm pro-choice, pro-euthanasia, and pro-death penalty. The only death I'm against is the fighting of wars that are unnecessary.

I don't think being religious has anything to do with the issue because there's plenty death that God sanctions according to the Bible.

Holly

• VCUBs
  • Speeding into the horizon
  • Twin Stars
    • View Profile
abortion
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 08:35:40 pm »
I'm against it... The only reason's I'd think it'd be ok is:
a) if the mother's life is at risk
b) if the woman was raped

but other than that, the woman made the mistake and it's not fair to punish the unborn baby. I think of the fetus as a human. Regardless of whether or not they're outside the body, they are alive.

And I have reasons why this was on my mind and decided to make a thread about it. I know it's a touchy subject. Will, if you don't like abortion threads, ignore it.

edit:
and I know an argument is that sometimes people have abortions because they know they can't give the baby a good life. But there are tons of people who are waiting to adopt a baby.
"i'm willing to do anything
to calm the storm in my heart
i've never been the praying kind
but lately i've been down upon my knees
not looking for a miracle
just a reason to believe"

Ivy Lynne

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - look+ivys+on
    • View Profile
    • Email
abortion
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 08:52:50 am »
Quote from: "Lucy"
Anyone agree/disagree?

totally agree :)
...I see you now, at the show....
7TH IN THE 7TH ROW.

Star7

• View Profile
    • Email
abortion
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 11:51:03 am »
sorry :oops: (ignore)

GeNuInEwAnNaBe69

• Willing and Able to... Run
    • View Profile
abortion
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2005, 02:47:00 pm »
I come from a feminist household, so I am going to go ProChoice all the way on this one.  Not that I am "Pro Abortion", I hate when people whip that one out.  the real agrument is whether or not it should be left up to the woman, where I completely agree, every person, man or woman has a right to their body.
"So just remember all you not-so-giant-squids out there, there is no such thing as a little squid, just little nets."
-Jon Stewart

kev222

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
abortion
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 12:36:57 am »
Quote from: "GeNuInEwAnNaBe69"
I come from a feminist household, so I am going to go ProChoice all the way on this one.

Feminism and abortion have nothing to do with each other. Some feminists simply hijack women-only issues to further their own causes. I'm sure there are plenty of feminists out there who are not 'pro-choice'.

Not that I am "Pro Abortion", I hate when people whip that one out.

Pro-choice and pro-abortion *are* the same thing. If you're pro-choice, then you believe abortion is an acceptable choice. So, whether you like it or not, you're pro-abortion. Just because you don't like the idea of abortion or wouldn't have one yourself doesn't make you some kind of open-minded fencesitter on the issue. It simply makes you pro-abortion in spite of your personal feelings about abortion.

The distinction is a joke. Hey, I'm not pro-theft, but I believe everyone should have the legal right to steal everyone elses stuff.

the real agrument is whether or not it should be left up to the woman

No, that isn't the real argument. That's just what certain feminists want the argument to be. This isn't a gender rights issue, don't make it one.

every person, man or woman has a right to their body.

I wholeheartedly agree. But who decided that an unborn baby counts as the parents body and not a seperate person? And on what authority did they make that decision? When does an unborn baby cease to be part of the parent? The usual "a woman has the right to her body" pro-abortion propaganda misses the point completely. Nobody is disputing that right.

Manny

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
abortion
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 09:45:16 am »
I am against it !..  :wink:

PianoGirl4444

• Fine as dandelions
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shannonthomas.net
    • Email
abortion
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2005, 12:08:03 pm »
Even in normal circumstances (ie NOT a rape), while using birth control, a woman can get pregnant.  And it's quite common.  That is not her fault.  I'm pro-choice.  Big time.
Cross paths with what you used to have. You've gotta learn that you've gotta earn
The fantasy
:: shannonthomas.net ::