Author Topic: Occupations.  (Read 19097 times)

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
Occupations.
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2006, 12:04:26 pm »
I feel for anyone who is trying to figure out what to do.  The job market changes so quickly!  In 4 years for a college, or even 2 for a trade school, the level of demand can be entirely different from what it was when one first chose a school. These days, one sees many people in their 20's and 30's re-training themselves, which bears out my observation.

It's really a lot of work to decide.  The only advice I have is to do what you love.  A long school day gets replaced by an 8 hour work day, so you'd better dig whatever field you go into.

Way back when, I took a look at the music biz, and saw tons of talented people that went unnoticed.  I thought, "There is no f-ing way I can depend on such a full of crap business.  I will starve!"  I got a day job after college, ha ha!  I'm thankful every day that I have a roof over my head.

Dan/NS

Manda

• Speeding into the horizon
    • View Profile
Occupations.
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2006, 03:09:32 pm »
I'm thinking of majoring in Computer Science with a Minor in English.

You know that Dirrty feeling when you wake up with no pants on face down on the floor of the city bus and you got like a condom in your ear? Thats the feeling we are trying to create! - Sarah Michelle Gellar

Gina

• View Profile
Occupations.
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2006, 03:24:04 pm »
I love my major.  Well dual major.  Childhood/Special Ed.  With a minor in Spanish.  I plan on being a Teacher for children on the autism spectrum.  Last summer and this summer... I work as an aide in a classroom for children with autism.  Love it!
Gina
.She'd do anything to sparkle in his eye.

HappyZen

• VCUBs
  • I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
  • Fell off the ass end of the world.
    • MSN Messenger - youfoundzen@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Occupations.
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2006, 06:33:10 pm »
erm .. medical huh?

I tried that .. Med Sc. but didn't wanna do pure research, so I did a Biotech degree too .. now I'm a molecular biologist .. if I had my time again I possibly would have done sthg that paid more money .. :-)

Prostitutes nah don't do that .. exotic dancers get paid HEAPS! :-)
I wonder if i'm exotic enough ;-)

esta vida es un sueño y soñaré
~*~save the uni

LimeTwister

Occupations.
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2006, 06:46:57 pm »
oh, you are, z.

I am majoring in something that doesn't pay much.  *dances*

PolySci...but I intend on going to law school afterwards or something.

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
Occupations.
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2006, 05:35:52 am »
Quote from: "Gina"
I love my major.  Well dual major.  Childhood/Special Ed.  With a minor in Spanish.  I plan on being a Teacher in an Autistic classroom.  Last summer and this summer... I work as an aide in an Autistic classroom.  Love it!

I know someone who teaches special needs students.  I don't know how she does it.

Of course, she does more than just Autistic... she actually teaches children with terminal diseases and such too.  I couldn't handle that.  It would be too emotionally draining.

Edit: Joey - If you want to be a successfull Lawyer, be prepared to work your ass off.  I mean, top 5% of yoru class.  Because the market is so flooded, you gotta land the good internship ASAP and hold onto that job.

Unless you want to do public defense or something like that.  In which case, I have no idea why you'd want to spend 30G in law school to make 40G a year in salary.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
Occupations.
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2006, 06:00:29 am »
my dad teaches special needs kids at BOCES...it pays pretty well, but you have to be cautious of some autistic children because they can be extremely strong. Every year my dad gets at least one guy in his class that he has to physically restrain or tackle because the student gets so angry he tries to hurt other students. In that situation, I'm pretty sure I would die :-X

nosticker

• Your true colors shown
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DanTVFish
    • View Profile
Occupations.
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2006, 08:14:06 am »
I minored in Philosophy, mainly because everyone got to the classes I liked before me and I got locked out.  I kept taking them, and before I knew it, voila!

I could always sit around and think about why I didn't have a job.

Dan/NS

Ryou-Neko

• Your true colors shown
    • MSN Messenger - heavily_toasted_bread@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - damnedColonists
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - wirelesswizarding
    • View Profile
    • http://www.carbon-arts.org
    • Email
Occupations.
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2006, 09:18:54 am »
Quote from: "nosticker"
I could always sit around and think about why I didn't have a job.

That would be a lovely idea if it were! =)
Why don't you come on over? Stop making a fool out of me.

LimeTwister

Occupations.
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2006, 10:02:31 am »
Quote from: "Grakthis"

Edit: Joey - If you want to be a successfull Lawyer, be prepared to work your ass off.  I mean, top 5% of yoru class.  Because the market is so flooded, you gotta land the good internship ASAP and hold onto that job.

Unless you want to do public defense or something like that.  In which case, I have no idea why you'd want to spend 30G in law school to make 40G a year in salary.

Yeah, but I want to be a lawyer in order to fulfill a more outlandish goal: politician.

:)  Yeah, I'm full of big dreams, but all I can do is try.

Manny

• I'd Walk A Thousand Miles...
    • View Profile
Occupations.
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2006, 02:57:30 pm »
I am still trying to figure out what I am going to do with my life  :lol:

marxu

Occupations.
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2006, 02:06:48 am »
I'm thinking of becoming a photographer or landscape architect..

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
Occupations.
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2006, 05:14:27 am »
Quote from: "LimeTwister"
Quote from: "Grakthis"

Yeah, but I want to be a lawyer in order to fulfill a more outlandish goal: politician.

:)  Yeah, I'm full of big dreams, but all I can do is try.

Don't tell anyone, but deep down, I keep wanting to run for office of some kind.  I've always said that once I'm rich, i'll retire from my job and either teach or go into politics or both.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Gina

• View Profile
Occupations.
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2006, 09:14:03 am »
Andrew-  yeah that would be incredibly challenging.  I've worked with students other than ones with Autism, but nothing like that as of yet.

Quote from: "jlmusicchick"
my dad teaches special needs kids at BOCES...it pays pretty well, but you have to be cautious of some autistic children because they can be extremely strong. Every year my dad gets at least one guy in his class that he has to physically restrain or tackle because the student gets so angry he tries to hurt other students. In that situation, I'm pretty sure I would die :-X

I work for the good ol' BOCES too!  As does my Mom.  I work there as an Aide during the summer.  I also volunteer for the Special Olympics when I can.  Last summer I had a student (for boces) who was just what you described.  When he came to the program we knew nothing about his history so we learned as we went along.  Aweful.  He bit, hit, pulled hair, scratched, you name it.  He was extreeeemely physical, and he'd sometimes go after the other students.  It was really sad, we had to physically restrain him, which was.... aweful but there wasn't any other way to deal with it at that point.  He also is non-verbal and not potty trained.  What an experience that was!  This summer should be a bit different though.
Gina
.She'd do anything to sparkle in his eye.

jlmusicchick

• View Profile
Occupations.
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2006, 04:50:16 pm »
yeah I give you a TON of credit Gina! I like working with the special ed. children, I always loved going to school with my dad for the day, but I honestly don't think I would be able to deal with kids like that. i mean, the fact that i'm 4'10" doesn't help either, the average autistic child could probably break me in half :-P