maybe
4 (10.5%)
Skeptical
1 (2.6%)
other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: January 02, 2004, 09:00:57 pm

Author Topic: Do you believe in god?  (Read 51249 times)

PIBby

• You never thought it'd hurt so bad
    • MSN Messenger - ckdurbin@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - IWanted19ButGot2
    • View Profile
    • http://hometown.aol.com/sanchezhouse/
    • Email
Do you believe in god?
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2004, 11:50:27 am »
1) Rosie, we target no one. Gays (when they practice sodimy and things) are defeating the purpose of sex. Sex is not for pleasure or anything, its point is to reproduce and keep making going. If you're a gay Catholic, you're not supposed to . . . yeah. You just don't marry. And live a life of solitude.

2) With condoms, the same deal. True, condoms help to NOT spread STDs like AIDs, VD, etc. - But if people didn't have sex 'til they were married which was the original plan, we wouldn't have to worry about that.

3) Priests . . . That whole thing about Asians and women was meant to be totally hypothetical. The thing with going against everything the Church stands for, that's true. I believe that. But, it's not JUST Catholic priests doing that. It's men - whether they're Jewish, Catholic, Atheists, black, white. So what I'm saying is these people are suing Arch Dioscese when that's like, if my Mom killed a guy, people suing the University where she works. The university could NOT control my Mom's killing of that guy. So why sue it?

4) Tolerant enough? No one is going to be able to put up with EVERYTHING - Especially when half of the crap is shit that's going against his or her beliefs ("his or her" being the Church).

spAce

• Just a day, just an ordinary day
    • MSN Messenger - crownandcloves@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theprotocolmusic.com
    • Email
Do you believe in god?
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2004, 11:54:39 am »
Well, there are many gods but if you are wondering if I beleive in God than ya.
'I wear my hood so I won't be found' - The Protocol

PIBby

• View Profile
    • Email
Do you believe in god?
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2004, 12:01:49 pm »
Quote from: "Grakthis"
And the selling of indulgences, the crusades, the holy roman empire, cardinal richelu (among other corrupt cardinals who got into government), their stance on homosexuality, women in the priesthood, historical refusal to acknowledge the holocaust, persecution of science, stance on safe sex etc etc etc.

Indulgences were crap. People didn't even brush their teeth in that day, how were they supposed to know about indulgences? OH! Right - Martin Luther, that guy who was a bitch about everything. - We were defending the Holy Land from the MUSLIMS - Hey! Isn't America fighting the Muslims and Iraq for . . . Oil? But oil is a hell of a lot more important than the Holy Land. - It's tradition, Andrew, the priesthood thing. Women do certain things, men do certain things. (I'm gonna get the shit yelled at me for that.) - Persecution of Science? Well, excusez-moi, but we/they persecute/d those who believe/d in all that scientific crap. We/They persecute/d those with seperate beliefs from ours/theirs. Now, what is half of America doing to the Church?

Yes, there are other churches that are worse.  But none with as much influence as the catholic church.

So the Church has more influence than anyone and 'tis more intimidating, so let's go against it even though there are worse Churches that we should be complaining about . . . ?

kev222

• VCUBs
  • Keepin' secrets at midnight
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
Do you believe in god?
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2004, 12:10:47 pm »
Quote from: "PIBby"
We were defending the Holy Land from the MUSLIMS

:-\ Is this a justification of the crusades? Unless "defending the Holy Land" involves murder, rape and gold. It's not a very good justification. No, the crusades were are unjustifiable.

-Kev

Grakthis

• VCUBs
  • Lord Andrew
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Grakthis
    • View Profile
    • http://www.grakthis.com
Do you believe in god?
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2004, 12:11:05 pm »
Indulgences were crap. People didn't even brush their teeth in that day, how were they supposed to know about indulgences? OH! Right - Martin Luther, that guy who was a bitch about everything.

Do you understand the concept of selling indulgences?  Basically, it meant that if I was rich I could go rape a 14 year old girl, but then pay the church 15,000 dollars and the little girls family a couple grand more and it was all ok.

Are you defending this idea?  Does this in ANY way seem right?

- We were defending the Holy Land from the MUSLIMS - Hey! Isn't America fighting the Muslims and Iraq for . . . Oil? But oil is a hell of a lot more important than the Holy Land.

The crusades weren't DEFENDING anything.  They were an attack.  An attack over ego.  The muslims weren't hurting the western religion's "holy lands".  THey consider that area just as holy as we do.

- It's tradition, Andrew, the priesthood thing. Women do certain things, men do certain things. (I'm gonna get the shit yelled at me for that.) - Persecution of Science? Well, excusez-moi, but we/they persecute/d those who believe/d in all that scientific crap. We/They persecute/d those with seperate beliefs from ours/theirs. Now, what is half of America doing to the Church?

Tradition is not a reason to do something.  Tradition is a weakness.  Do something because it is RIGHT not because that is the way it has ALWAYS been done.

As for the whole gay thing, atleast the church is consistent.  The church says sex should not be done for pleasure NO MATTER WHO it is with.  That is their stance on being Gay and being straight.  Sex if to have children, the end.

The church did more than just deny science.  In times past, the church would persecute and kill scientists who exposed ideas about the universe (hello gallileo!) that the church did not like.  The church may have set back human science hundreds of years.

Plus, i didn't say it was OK for people to persecute catholics.  I never defended that notion.  I am just saying what is WRONG with the catholic church.  There is NO organized religion that i cannot pick apart for various reasons.  They are all full of hypocrisy and BS.

Quote from: "Pibby"
So the Church has more influence than anyone and 'tis more intimidating, so let's go against it even though there are worse Churches that we should be complaining about . . . ?

Trust me.  I complain about the southern baptists, the muslims, the jews, the fundamental christians, the luterans, the mormons (more than most!) and the Jehova's Witnesses.  They all suck.  I'm just lumping the catholics in there with them.

Edit @ CeCe - On a side note, the Church isn't getting sued BECAUSE their priests molested children. no no no no.  Just like you said, the church is an employer and the church could use that as a defense.  No.  The church is getting sued because it KNEW about the incidents and COVERED THEM UP intentionally.
If you are reading this, you are probably on my ignore list.  Click here to return the favor

Wagella Wrote:Yay for Bigotry!!

---Andrew

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - tqhx@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tqhx
    • View Profile
Do you believe in god?
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2004, 12:29:22 pm »
I seem to remember a huge argument over religion and people's beliefs in the OT section about 6 months ago.......I think people need to just get over the fact that others will believe what they feel is right whether it is or isnt right.  You dont like what someone believes?  Well woopity doo,suck it up
Quote from: "ReSpektDaFrenziedEVanesSa"
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.

kev222

• VCUBs
  • zero vector
    • AOL Instant Messenger - k3v222
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kev.nu/vc
    • Email
Do you believe in god?
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2004, 01:00:03 pm »
There is NO organized religion that i cannot pick apart for various reasons.  They are all full of hypocrisy and BS.

It's worth pointing out that anybody can look at the history and statements of any non-trivial organisation and expose hypocrisy and BS. From Microsoft to The Catholic church to the KKK. Because people misunderstand and misinterpret intentionally for their own ends or unintentionally. The ability to pick these organisations apart only demonstrates people's limitless ignorance. People will lie to further their own agenda and others will follow blindly in ignorance (e.g. the crusades). Deception and ignorance is the problem not the religion itself. Too many people fail to make the seperation between the actions of the so-called "church" and the the religion itself. The seperation should be made but rarely is.

No.  The church is getting sued because it KNEW about the incidents and COVERED THEM UP intentionally.

I do wonder why the Church is getting sued. Why aren't people being arrested?

-Kev

LimeTwister

Do you believe in god?
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2004, 01:23:15 pm »
Sex is not for pleasure or anything, its point is to reproduce and keep making going.

if this was true, then why was sex made pleasurable?

and I agree a lot with what Andrew said...which is unusual.

Scotty

• MSN Messenger - c_slaughter14@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - pianoguy1588
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nessaholic88@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Do you believe in god?
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2004, 01:34:05 pm »
Quote from: "LimeTwister"
Sex is not for pleasure or anything, its point is to reproduce and keep making going.

if this was true, then why was sex made pleasurable?

and I agree a lot with what Andrew said...which is unusual.

To balance out the pain of birth lol

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

PIBby

• View Profile
    • Email
Do you believe in god?
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2004, 01:35:58 pm »
Because, Joey! When you get married, you're supposed to be like, "Yes! I can have sex - Awesome!" And the, ahem, pleasure is the greatness of it, otherwise there'd be no reason to have sex other than reproducing and obviously we don't care about that anymore. Though, urgh, pre-marital sex being badness is one of the few things the Church practice which I'm not for. That statement contradicts half of what I just sad in earlier posts, which goes to show I was just stating what the Church does and doesn't believe.

And Andrew's right about the whole indulgences thing. However, that was a hell of a long time ago, no one should be shit-faced about it unless they were arund in that day. The only thing I have is still the women being priests thing, I'll have to look that up because I know there's a reason they're not and can't be.

Scotty

• View Profile
Do you believe in god?
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2004, 01:40:34 pm »
Plus I read the bible once and wondered why God punished Adam and Eve (Gen 3:5), they did something evil so God punished them...

When what they did evil was to eat from the tree of knowledge...but wouldn't you need knowledge to know the difference between good and evil.

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

Si

• Fine as dandelions
  • Down a Rabbithole
    • View Profile
Do you believe in god?
« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2004, 01:46:56 pm »
Quote from: "Scotty"
Plus I read the bible once and wondered why God punished Adam and Eve (Gen 3:5), they did something evil so God punished them...

When what they did evil was to eat from the tree of knowledge...but wouldn't you need knowledge to know the difference between good and evil.

wow
deep, dude

hee

• SHUT  UP  when  I'm  talking  to  you... !
 You  hear  me?  ANSWER  me !! •

Scotty

• View Profile
Do you believe in god?
« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2004, 01:51:28 pm »
Quote from: "Si"

wow
deep, dude

hee

There are many problems with the bible

Unoriginal Dum-Dums

Tia

• Speeding into the horizon
    • MSN Messenger - littlemisscheekylives@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.graphic-interlude.com
    • Email
Do you believe in god?
« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2004, 02:05:38 pm »
Tradition is not a reason to do something.  Tradition is a weakness.  Do something because it is RIGHT not because that is the way it has ALWAYS been done.

I could not agree more.
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.

Logikal X

• Fine as dandelions
    • MSN Messenger - tqhx@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tqhx
    • View Profile
Do you believe in god?
« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2004, 02:23:35 pm »

But god told them not to eat from the tree....wasnt that the knowledge they needed to know not to eat from the tree?

and conscience is different from knowledge..you need conscience to know the difference between right and wrong..knowledge will only help influence the decision based on your conscience
Quote from: "ReSpektDaFrenziedEVanesSa"
But I have to say I love the feeling of anything going up my butt, it just drives me wild.